Friday, January 25, 2008

Jewellery photography

Wow is it ever hard! This is a picture of a ring I made for my friend Jenn. 18K White gold and set with the 3 stones from a ring she didn't like and some little diamonds from a broken pendant. So we used the sentimental stones in something she did like. She has long fingers with large knuckles - we made something that would look nice as it spun on her finger , and be wide but not look too heavy.
Anyway, back to photography - its hard! You must show the shine but not hide the detail. Show the smooth surfaces without showing your body reflected there (never photo in the nude). It gets even harder - show a diamond without just seeing sparkles! In this picture I have the ring sitting on a piece of non glare plastic, nice reflection eh! I should only have one light source showing but I have two, and either I have to learn to photo a ring straight or learn how to turn it 5 degrees because right now it lists to the right.....

1 comment:

Colleen Anderson said...

If you put this into one of the picture programs, such as Photoshop, you could straighten out the picture. It's pretty good and I love the piece, as well as the other two pieces: the brooch and the crystal. Always loved that Norse crystal necklace.